If you are just getting started with the SmartCMS, watch this overview video. Otherwise, just scroll down for FAQ, Common Tasks, and this the SmartCMS Help Documentation.
SmartCMS Video Tutorials
Managing Your SmartCMS Site
The Page Properties Tab
The Page Properties tab allows for updating of individual settings for each page.
- Published: When the Published checkbox is checked, the page content will be visible and live on the internet. If the Published checkbox is unchecked: when you are logged into your website, you can see the page; individuals viewing the live website won’t be able to see the page. Scheduled Publishing is available with the ability to select dates, times and time zones for the page to be published.
- Layout: Multiple layout options are available. Layouts control how the page looks. Common layouts are Left Sidebar, Right Sidebar, and No Sidebar.
- Title: The title text that displays in the browser tab can be changed in this section.
- Page Description (Meta): The Meta Page Description describes what can be found on the page. We recommend adding a short description to all the pages created, as search engines look for this to display on search engine results pages.
The Menu Tab
- One Tier Menu or Basic Mega Menu can be selected. Both options display optimally in mobile devices.
- One Tier Menu – The sub links will display in a one tier dropdown format
- Basic Mega Menu – For websites that have many links, the Basic Mega Menu provides grouping of links while organizing the links in sections, all in an optimal display for multiple devices.
- By clicking on Add Page, you are able to add a new navigation or page. Here you will be able to create a new page, dropdown menu, Module link, or external link. The same navigation options will display if you click the “+” box next to the menu heading titles.
- For a New Page, type in the desired title, make sure the New Page is selected, and click save. A dialog box will appear with page options. A new page creation will automatically create a Heading 1 title for the page. Heading 1 titles are an important SEO element.
- For a new menu title, select Dropdown Item and hit save. The new title will automatically display in first in the menu. You can now drag the menu title to preferred location. Menu titles can be edited, disabled, or deleted to the right of the title. Clicking the “+” on the left hand side will expand the dropdown to show the pages within the main menu item.
- To add a Module page, type in the title of the page, selected Module and then use the dropdown menu to select a module before clicking save. Modifications can be added to the module link to add extra parameters.
- Select External Link to add a page title and hyperlink. You have a choice to have the link open in a separate tab.
The Appearance Tab
- Primary, secondary, and optional third colors can be chosen. Appearance Profiles can be created for different design ’looks’ for your website. These settings are then saved as their own profile with the current date and time. This allows you to easily change back to what you had at a previous point in time. Example profiles could include holidays, special events, or a brand color change for your organization.
- The background color can be selected along with different design options. A photo or design pattern can also display as the background. A photo can be uploaded by browsing to the cloud and selecting a photo. A full-width display or repeating option is available. Recommended minimum photo size for full width display is 1024px wide x 768px high.
- Add/change the favicon. The favicon is the small image that shows in your browser tab.
- Your Google Analytics ID is added for tracking traffic on your website, and a link to login to your google account to see your analytics.
- Page redirects are also managed in this area.
Features of SmartCMS
When adding Text, a Content Style can be applied to the text area by clicking the Content Style checkbox. Different selections for style, color, and icons are available. The content can be previewed before saving.
- If an image is added in the text area, the image should previously be cropped to the desired size. Once the image is added to the text, remove the image’s height and width in the html src code, and add a class to the img tag : class=”img-responsive” This class gives the image a 100% width allowing it to resize according to the width of the device being used by an individual.
Through Image, you can upload a single image with the option of adding a link. These images will automatically be responsive. Alignment and hyperlinks can also be applied to the photos.
The <html> section is used to add html coding to a content area. The ‘Editor’ view can be selected to display the html content if desired.
Slider/Gallery, File Manager
Add a slider of images, or a photo gallery to your website through Slider/Gallery.
- The recommended size for slider images is 1172px wide x 390px high for optimal display in a full width of an Area. Captions can also be added to the slider images. Transitions can also be applied for the photo sliders, which include fading, horizontal, and vertical sliding. Hyperlinks to text and to photos can also be added.
- You can add a photo gallery to display a collection of photos from your file manager. These images will display three across in thumbnail size. Once clicked on, the full image will display along with a caption if added.
- Photos can be added in the file manager to use for the photo gallery and slider features. Click ‘Add image’ to go to the file manager to select your photos.
The file manager allows for multiple file upload to the cloud, as well as the ability to select multiple files and move them into a designated folder, using CTRL Click to select the files. Uploading a file to the file manager is accessible through the Content Options ‘Text’, ‘Image’, and ‘Slider/Gallery’ options.
Here is where Module feeds from the database can be selected to display. These include:
- Events Calendar
- Sponsored Ads
- Module Feed – these will automatically display as the primary color and scrolling.
- Members - New
- Members - Featured
- Events - Upcoming
- Events - Featured
- News Releases
Choosing Search will add a search box to the content area. When a word or search words are typed into the search field, a dropdown will display with pages and/or members matching the search term.
Custom Links are available for creating secondary menus in horizontal or vertical display. The custom links can display with or without icons. Hyperlinks and alignments can also be applied to the links and a preview is available.
Add icons, such as Module, Category, and Social icons to a desired content area. Uploading a custom icon is also an option, and also available are standard Glyph icons. Icons are displayed horizontally, and a preview is available. Titles, hyperlinks, and alignment can be applied to the Icon Links.